View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #252
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Anyway, so where we left off, you threw a kick, and I was deciding on how to actively defend against it. Whatever a choice, a retreat can't be used due to move and attack... would that apply to slips/sideslips/drops too?
I would assume so, but there is room for argument.

Quote:
MA225 interestingly mentions "tricky to evade (-1 to enemy’s Dodge)."
That refers to dodging not evading though. Its talking about Tridents.

Quote:
So in a way, if I am moving through your hex (because I don't decelerate) in effect the evade sort of operates like a dodge against a free attack you got against me, by merit of being placed exactly in the middle of the hex, on target in my path...
Something like that.

Quote:
It seems like there would be something like 2 options if the intent is for consensual bypass (no attempt to obstruct) though:

1) person in way makes an effort to move aside, spending AP so the bypasser need not
2) person in way makes no effort to move aside, so bypasser would need to spend AP to make sure they didn't collide
3) both spend AP to move aside, requiring less effort from each ("let's both move to our respective left" or "let's both move to our respective right)
4) accidental obstruction when trying to compensate for each other but in a direction that ultimately needs to no resolution (ie Red moves to his left, Green moves to his right, they ultimately move in the same overall direction)

These are all minor variations of course, I don't know if any of it would amount to 1 AP or 2 AP increments for comparison, would work a lot better if using 0.1 AP increments, maybe tied to a bonus/penalty to a roll so that more energy spent would be decreased likelyhood of a collision, so long as it's coordinated.
On the other hand, these characters aren't exactly working together to not hit each other. They're trying to conserve energy while beating the crap out of each other.

I do think Green ought to spend some AP here: he's moving quickly, enough that he can't really dodge. My guts say that if he doesn't take effort to attack, evade or stop, Red should be able to stop which ever of those approaches he takes.

They're not in close combat, so Green could turn just a little and run past without passing through the hex, I think.

Quote:
Actual coordination would seem a lot like a Teamwork roll. Failure might mean a random chance of choosing the right or wrong action of your teammate, either helping or impeding them.
Sure, if you wanted to roll for everything. I'm not sure that I would. But I can certainly see a GM getting tired of players abusing that and making them roll.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote