View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #35
demonsbane

Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Why would that be of any importance at all? That sounds almost like an appeal to authority. (Again, I'm no expert on the issue, but your words run counter to my impressions of Buddhism's position on . . . well, persons.)
Spirituality is very related to authority. Buddhism is no exception here. The practical importance of that is hard to explain and it's part of the technical aspects of spirituality; the fact is the mentioned practices lack of efficacy if they aren't handled down by a true master.

Now, we're talking about things in which a supernatural element is involved. The disciple needs to be empowered by his master, and the disciple needs empowered means (Saktopaya). OFC for believers in materialism that makes no sense.

Also, people used to despise all kind of authority rages hearing things like these, and they proceed to distort ancient teachings for suiting them to their own tastes. In that way, people makes falsifications and are willing to be deceived by them, too.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+