View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
tantric
Banned

Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Using mantras, mudras, yantras, etc... without them being handled personally to you by a true guru is pointless. It results in mere psychological effects, at most (I'm not doubting of that tantric is telling here, however, only saying that's a psychological effect and that isn't the intended purpose of such things). Additionally, these things were handled in their proper contexts (Buddhist, in this case, and to Buddhists), and not outside of them.
Now this, I have to object to. Even in a logical sense - where did the guru get them? There are also two types of buddhas that don't follow the traditional path, both of them come to enlightenment on their own, and one of them doesn't teach at all. Also, what do you mean by 'mere psychological effects'?

In any case, the point here is that the OP wants a cleric/monk combo with a buddhist feel. I'm for giving him what he wants. There is no 'real' Buddhism, there is no 'real' Dungeon Fantasy, there is no one to offend. Calling the class "non-Buddhist tantric guru" to avoid offending or misrepresenting True Buddhism is silly. In DF, Jesus was not a simple man with some good ideas - he was a spiritual powerhouse who could kick some ass. Why should the monotheists have all the fun? I want a monk who can stare holes in the walls and reveal a succubus as a withered hag. DF is about having fun. Allow me to repeat myself:

Quote:
This is DF Buddhism, meaning that the Greater Vehicle needs to have room to carry all the loot.

Last edited by tantric; 12-27-2009 at 04:53 PM.