View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #34
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's kind of a logical consequence of being software, it isn't a logical consequence of having Machine, though.

The unusual background isn't insignificant either, since the ability to have multiple instances, backups, and shells make a host of powerful exotic abilities into mundane one for you, and allows you to buy them after character creation.
I don't know how many of these consequences are "logical" or not. Let me be clear, I am questioning the RAW. If we are simply accepting RAW, then most (if not all) of what you have said is absolutely correct.

This trait seems more setting specific than it ought to be. We really need a clear definition of "Mind" to understand this trait. It isn't what is usually meant with traits in general because this is a physical trait (unless I missed the errata ^^'). I am not well versed in the latest technology; is there a realistic example of the Digital Mind? Beyond the GM (or a player with particular tastes) needing/wanting to role-play certain modern pieces of equipment? If there is, then we probably found out why I'm confused. >_<

This sounds like a trait that is based on technology we don't really have yet, and perhaps never will. Digital Mind stitches together so many bits that are great for a fairly specific setting. I can try and go through them. In fact, I started to, but I quickly got a messy post because there really are so many assumptions being made by this trait for the setting. Yes, one can just choose to disallow Digital Mind, but that is kind of my point; it ain't generic and it ain't universal. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote