View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #21
JustAnotherJarhead

Default Re: Missle spells in ITL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yep.

This I would say is an overstatement.

Someone with IQ 11 or less, so no access to any more damaging missile spell. With no more damaging spell to prefer, it's still very useful for hitting targets at range, and can win wizard duels or take out those ST 8 wizard types and ST 6 halflings some people suggest are good characters.

The other advantages of a missile spell apply (the low DX penalty to hit at range).

And beyond comparing its damage to IQ 12 Fireball or better, it's still a very useful spell for other purposes, allowing touching and breaking things at a great distance.
A few good points there in reference to Range, & Breaking things at distance. And it's always good to take out a Halfling sniper scumbag.

But at a maximum damage level of 3d6 -6, I don't know that you are Taking Out anybody, just taking up an action that might weaken you in the heat of battle and yield no damage on a fabulous To Hit roll?

Just looking at "average" damage at Maximum ST used, you aren't even inflicting a -2DX penalty as a result, and pray there isn't even 1 hit of armor/shield/toughness in play.

At some point, you might as well just pick up a Bow or Crossbow if you are that Martial wizard build out. And lord have mercy if the Mnoren frown upon you, and you roll slightly low of average and deliver 0 - 3 hits.

Actually the more we pour over this 3 ST missle spell limitation, the more I wonder when Steve n crew "re-structured" the rules, why not dump the terrible Averages of damage on a 3D limit (assuming you even chose Max, maybe you temper it to 2d6)?
If you even ratcheted the damage up one notch, so that Magic Fist started at 1d6-1 (0-5 hits) and Fireball at IQ 12 (not a low IQ) delivered a Full d6 you wouldn't be imbalancing the game, just making it so that beginning wizards and Martial Wizards might live to their next birthday.

No wizard in his/her right mind is going to burn off two 3d6 fireballs back to back unless they are just in a hurry to meet their maker. Adventure seldom stops after one brief combat encounter.

And, I concur starting with an 8ST Wizard is just a short lived adventure in futility, and NO not every wizard should start off with Fireball just so they can have a CHANCE at delivering a big enough hit to make a difference in time of need.

Statistically most of our Wizards died. Nobody ever really was successful in making it to High levels. It just didn't happen. TFT is just to brutal.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote