View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
larsdangly

Default Re: Interviewing the Fans #1

Fun idea!

TFT has been at the center of my nerd-hobby world since I was 11 years old (almost 40 years ago!), so it is not easy to pick one experience. But, as undisciplined writers say, 'first thought best thought', and a favorite memory jumped to mind.

In 1978 the only games I knew were Melee, 1E AD&D (the serious big-boy game), and En Garde! (which has ignominiously slipped beneath the water line, but deserved better...). My best friend that year introduced me to gaming, and we played one of these daily for months, often during the lunch hour at school. It eventually occurred to us that what we really needed was to figure out how to keep playing during class.

It seemed like Melee was our best move because it only used six sided dice, and every school kid in the 1970's knew that pencils have six sides. So we carefully marked numbers on some old pencils, figured out how to sit across the isle from each other, and one of us slid a melee map and a couple of Daforth markers inside the pages of a book. Cue hours of surreptitious blood-soaked hilarity!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote