View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
robertsconley

Default Re: The Complete GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
Looking at this list, I have one reaction:

If I wanted to play D&D, I'd buy and play D&D.
It not D&D.

It is GURPS Character, with GURPS Combat Rules, using the GURPS Magic system and treasure derived from said magic system. Along with a full roster of orcs, goblins, doppelgangers, and other monsters written up using GURPS stats.

The templates would be similar to those in Dungeon Fantasy but oriented to the standard 150 pt "starting" character. Of course low 75 pt option should be present as well as high DF option 250 pts.

Running D&D style fantasy under GURPS is distinctly different than running D&D. It is gritter, and you have a ton more options.

The advantage of a combined book is that there is only one $35 to $45 book to buy to run a full fantasy GURPS. It has a one to one correspondence to the elements of D&D yet still is GURPS.

The setting/adventure would be similar to a dozen other D&D adventure modules. The point is to sell the GURPS RULES to the most common type of roleplayer. In the Game Store not just the internet. The idea is that once the player is comfortable with the GURPS Rule then they would gravitate to the rest of the line.

Note that you can see this with the D20 ruleset of D&D. With D20 Modern, and other games like Mutants & Masterminds it is really easy for a D&D player to try out other Genres. My past experience with local role-players is bear this observation out.

There is no reason that GURPS should be disadvantaged in this regard. IMO it is a better designed ruleset that works better with more genres than D20.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote