View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
Dalin

Default Re: DFRPG at School, the Next Level...

Yesterday was the final session of the fall "Dungeon Fantasy" activity at my school. It went very well this time around. I even sat down with the group who decided that "high rolls are better" and explained why that wouldn't make much sense with the skill numbers on their characters sheets.

The most challenging conflict we had was on the last day when one table's rotating GM set up a Grand Finale battle against a mega-monster. One of the players had been awarded an "Arrow that Automatically Kills Anything" by one of the other GMs and they had a spirited argument about what to do about it. The funny thing was that the player didn't really want to use the arrow, he just didn't want the GM to take it away from him. He was like, "Look, I promise that I won't use it!" and the GM, retorted, "But you probably will. And it's no fun to even have the option!" I eventually suggested that the character left the arrow at home. That way he could keep it as part of his inventory but there would be no possibility of using it in the final battle. This mollified everyone.

I loved this for a number of reasons. First, it reminded me of the inane arguments I remember having around the gaming table when I was that age. But more importantly, it showed how invested they were in the drama and the world that they were constructing together. No matter how ludicrous the story was, they all believed in it to some degree, and wanted it to follow some sort of rules.

The icing on the cake was watching the student with the Arrow of Plot Destruction toss his character sheet into the recycling bin on his way out.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote