View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #20
Bruno

Default Re: How does a Jet work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The only reason I can see to have a beam of magical energy be a Jet with Cone instead of simply a Cone would be to escape having to aim it in order to hit.
I'm not quite expressing myself clearly.

That was the whole idea - but I'm getting told I should be Aiming (to get the accuracy bonus) and buying extra accuracy - but that isn't cheaper at all, it requires you to take an Aim action every turn - that's very expensive as it effectively halves damage output :/

I'm just confused and confusing other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
As such, it might fit dragon's breath that persists for a significant fraction of a second, making it adjustable 'in use'.
Quite a few people on the forum seem to think that flamethrowers should work this way anyways - at least judging by the questions and comments. It only makes sense to me that some things in a fantasy situation work the way we think they should ;)

Dragons breath, a "directed shockwave" or blast or whatever - the idea that all of these sorts of things would hit the first target in the line and then stop strikes me as just as odd as these things taking ranged to hit penalties and being impacted by general ranged attack stuff. It's no more "ranged" than a regular Jet is, so it seems obvious to put Jet on them. And Jet stops at the first thing hit, so then you need to modify it into a one-yard cone so it hits everything in the line, not just the first thing.

Ergo, Jet-Cone.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote