View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #3239
fchase8

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
That would be odd without the ACW. Slavery was uniquely profitable in the USA. Far from being a fading institution that would fade away, Southern US slavery was as vital as it was evil. Slavery required killing.
In the world, slavery is still existent in the USA, but the USA itself isn't as powerful as in real life at that point in time. Losing New England & New York is a major blow, especially back then. It also hasn't fully secured the West - I believe Texas is part of the Union, but not sure about a Mexican-American War. British Canada seems more advanced in pushing west than USA.

Certainly doesn't have full control over California, where there are also Mexicans, Russians, and Canadians. There apparently was no California Gold Rush to populate the area - there is even a hint that the Russian fort on San Francisco Bay is going cock-a-hoop over something, "Like they've discovered gold or something..."

Without the industry of New England, the USA probably is more reliant on the cotton exports into the even more powerful British Empire. Though the British have more options, and are anti-slavery (though more in a 'find it distasteful' way). But British and Yankee (New England) industrial imports likely swamp native USA industry.

I don't think that the supplement said whether slavery had been abolished in Brazil, but would seem likely, as its monarchy is self-consciously 'modern' like the Europeans, aping the 'Bloods' of the British monarchy, and so likely would have pushed for abolition (as I believe the Emperor did in real history).
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote