View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
Huscurian

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Oh, let's see: Star Wars, Wheel of Time, Warhammer 40k, and Exalted. None of them panned out... but when I gave up on the Star Wars conversion and just went for a new setting I called Resplendent Star Empire, I had a hit on my hands. Thus, I'm preaching my experience: turn your conversion into your own property, and do your own thing with it, and you'll have a hit.
Hmm, Resplendent Star Empire. Interesting... Got a link for that?

Quote:
I do want to rush in and say there's nothing wrong with working out these stats, or doing your research. I applaud that and I don't believe that real creators can just conjure material from nothing. We steal and then refurbish, and studying up on material is the first step in stealing. I'm just encouraging you to take the second step and refurbish.
Usually, it's just reading up the materials, statting it out, playtesting it, then updating it as I go along. It might take a while to make the conversion work but if it is stealing, I could also be profiting from it entirely. If I'm doing the conversion and playing with it without profit, I don't see it as stealing. I see it as playing something that others might enjoy.

I could be wrong but this is just one of the perspectives that I have.

Quote:
That's healthy. If you watch me build my Psi-Wars setting, you'll see I do much the same: Build a bit, make sure it works, play with it, and then expand.
Pretty much. That's how it's going to be with the SW conversion.

Quote:
Also check out the Empire-class dreadnought in SS 3, which you can probably tweak into both your standard destroyer and your interdictor. The Victory class could just be a bigger one, or a Continent-class Super-carrier from SS 4. Your independent starfighters can be other fighters from SS 4, and your freighters can come from SS 2, if you really need them to have stats.
I'll check those out. Sounds like you have pretty much understood SS1-7 when I haven't read all of them just yet.

Quote:
That's the idea! And you can dig through UT for ideas. Say the hyperdense blade really speaks to you, and you like some ideas in one of the latest pyramid. Why not toss them together? You can build your setting your way, and when your players say "What are we playing," you can say "Well, Psi-Wars is like Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, and a twist!" and they'll know enough to join in "Cool, can I play something like a wookie bounty hunter?"
Players sure do like trying out different homebrew games. That's what makes it fun. I agree that unique settings, different concepts, or concepts that are familiar can work with others. After all, we don't just play a specific setting for many years on end. We try out different things.

Quote:
I encourage you to watch the rest of my Psi-Wars series. Even if you have no intention of playing with the resulting setting/campaign, I explain all of the steps so that people like you can see what I'm doing and then can do it themselves for their own settings.
I'll keep the blog bookmarked.
Huscurian is offline   Reply With Quote