View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default What Features should be added to Mass Combat?

This thread is about unit Features that should be added to Mass Combat, and everything else that has to do with Features.

One thing that bothers me is that all low-TL infantry units are equally fast:

Fast (cost varies)
Cost depends on unit type.
For Light Infantry and Light Cavalry, and similar units that the GM agrees can be classified as "light", +40% to raise and +20% to maintain.
For Medium Infantry and Medium Cavalry, and similar units, +60% to raise and +30% to maintain.
For Heavy Infantry and Cavalry, and similar units, +80% to raise and +40% to mainain.
The effect is to add 5 miles per day to movement speed. This is 5 mpd to both cavalry and infantry, because cavalry is already fast, and there's not much you can do to make it faster.

Very Fast(+100% to raise and +50% to mainain)
Light Infantry only. +10 miles per day travel speed. A unit can't have both Fast and Very Fast.
edit: And other foot units which the GM agrees can be classified as "light".

Self-Sufficient (+50% to raise)
Prerequisite: At least one Terrain type.
When the unit is in one of its favoured Terrain types, maintenance cost is reduced by 25%.

Also something that bothers me is that most Feature costs seem to use increments of 20%, whereas Counter uses 25%. That strikes me as odd and pointless. It would be much cleaner to use Feature costs divisible by 20, or at least by 10 (as I have done above). Or alternatively have all Feature costs divisible by 25.

A case can probably also be made why Counter should be +40% instead of +25%, for instance the Pikeman example.

Last edited by Peter Knutsen; 01-23-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added a little something
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote