View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #40
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: GURPS Mass Combat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
I liked the material in GURPS MASS COMBAT and I have to say that initially I was impressed. I look forward to utilizing it for my own campaigns because this is the type of thing that got good use when I had GURPS 3e.

I do however, have two questions for anyone to answer... perhaps even David :)

In the table, it lists on page 17, that Medium Cavalry have the code Cv,F.

Was this a mistake? I checked the TL and saw it at TL and thought "Ok, probably a misprint"

The second question has to do with a closer look at the "examples" given for the TL 0-5 throughout the booklet. I noted that the rules specify that Strykland has a force with 20 elements worth a total of 120 points. 9 of those points are Archers, and 25 of those points are Heavy Cavalry. That works out to about 2 Hvy Cav elements and 3 bowmen elements, leaving me with 15 elements to try and determine their "aspects" if you will.

That is when I discovered something that didn't make sense to me. Per the information on page 9, it states that Impetious troops have certain bonuses and penalties for the commander depending upon what the commander's choice is for the combat round. Ok, makes sense as written. But then there was the rule that if your impetious troops make up 10% or more of the troops by either troop numbers or by TS value, that certain rules are put into effect. To wit, if the Commander choses either of All-out-attack, attack, or raid, he gains a +1 bonus to his strategy roll. However, any other option chosen results in the commander having to make a Leadership roll at -1 per 10% of the force that are impetuous. If Sir Richard's forces are such that 37.5 TS points are Impetuous, and he only has 75.5 TS points for his force, we have 37.5/75.5 or 49% of his TS as impetuous troops! Poor Sir Richard has to make a Leadership roll at -4 (minimum) or -5 or suffer a -2 to his Strategy roll.

This was left out of the example given for the battle turns. Was this an oversight or am I mis-reading the rules?

One question that popped into my mind while reading...

What is the TS value for Demonic creatures? ;)
Medium Cavalry: see the description. E.g., byzantine cavalry.

The example is simplified. We can assume poor Sir Richard made his roll...

TS of demonics: Depends on the demon quality. As per rules you take Flying Infantry (which explictly covers demons) or another fantasy type: flying mages, ogres, beasts, whatever gives an appropriate statistic. Then you modify them as needed - either with improved Troop quality or with Super Soldier as appropriate. For example, a balrog is probably a Giant with the highest Troop Quality and the Hero element or Super Soldier options.