View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #37
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: GURPS Mass Combat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis
Some questions:

3e Mass Combat has a rule to add missile weapons to troops usually without them. I cannot find such a rule. Is that deliberate ? If I want MedInf or HvCav with crossbows, what do I do ? Would this just add F to class and increase costs (and how much ?), or also raise TS ?

Flying Cavalry is Air, F but not Rec. Is that deliberate ? I would consider that to be one of the first jobs for it. Especially as both Flying Infantry and Flying Mages are Rec. If I add it, would that raise costs ? How much ?

Any ideas how much TS magical flying ships might have ?

For fantasy races we have only Ogres. How was TS 8 calculated ? Is there some formula behind this as it was the case in 3e ?
[1] In general the troop classes are based on how the troops *fight and deploy* rather than how they are armored, with armor levels represented by equipment quality. So to have heavy armored cavalry that fire crossbows, you'd take horse archers or medium cavalry and add the best equipment and training quality (representing this).

[2] Rec primarily refers primarily to ability to sneak about on the ground (cf. the definition referring to land units) something flying cavalry can't do, esp. since (unlike some high-tech vehicle recon elements) it lacks dismount troops and sensors. Note that Air superiority *does* give a bonus for the reconnaissance contest, so having flying cav will give you a big advantage. The flying infantry and mages are just better for sneaking about...

[3] Magical flying ships should be treated as an airship or flying leviathan.

[4] "Ogres" is not a specific racial category (e.g., DF Ogres) but a general term that can represent lots of different humanoid monster races depending on the quality and equipment level. When coupled with Beasts, Giant Monsters, Flying Infantry you can actually represent many races.

[5] TS for Ogres was calculated the same way I calculated all other numbers, i.e., based on analysis of their fighting capability, a few mathematical formula, and some playtesting to see what worked.