View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #374
Curmudgeon

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The right to earmark is the sole duty and power of one house? I can only imagine the discrimination suits. Does this extend to taxes? Or is it just about where the government spends its money?
Depends on how much, if any, discrimination there is, surely?

The idea is to keep the first house from pork-barreling in their ridings, or putting all the bad stuff in the ridings of the opposition, as well as to keep them from getting elected by promising , for example, $1,000,000 tax-free and non-repayable to anyone in my riding who asks for it. Of course, they could still put in a provision allowing X number of people to collect $1,000,000 tax-free and non-repayable, but it would be up to the second house to decide where the requests could come from. They might, for example, allow it nation-wide but only the first 3 persons from each riding.

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, it applies to taxes, too. The first house can allocate $36,000,000 to build those prisons, but the second house gets to decide exactly how the $36,000,000 gets allocated in building those prisons. I.E., the second house can't divert any of the $36,000,000 to projects other than those particular prisons, they can't spend more on those prisons without an additional allocation from the first house and any unspent portion of the $36,000,000 goes back into the General Revenues for re-allocation.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote