View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Binding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The scatter rules don't make allowance for Rapid Fire attacks at all. Yes, logically they all have to land somewhere. But the way the Rapid Fire rules and enhancement are written clearly assume single-target attacks, which is why "fixing" this situation with a houserule leads inexorably to gross munchkinism. 3e had very different rapid fire rules, more amenable to tracking exactly where every shot landed, but they were apparently too complex for people to handle.

My preferred approach for cluster-bomb attacks is to build the effects rather than the fluff. The effect is to fill a wide area with overlapping attacks, for a relatively consistent degree of damage within the area that falls off rapidly at the edges. So just build it like that - a single-shot Binding with a much wider area and higher ST. If this attack can be "tightened" for greater effect within a smaller area, buy that as an Alternative Attack.
This is more an indication of the problems with RoF rules in general. My point about a room is that even if the GM picks the worst possible arrangement of scatter (e.g. putting stuff at the edges of the room or of the Range of the attack, whichever is worse for the situation), the huge area effects will still cover the targets. It's kinda scary with Selective Area, but not without it (where it's too prone to collateral damage).

That being said, I wonder if there's a Krommquote or non-Basic rule explaining how Scatter interacts with RoF.