View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
thom

Default Re: [Social Engineering] [Pyramid 3/54] The math and tactics of using Elicitation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Since elicitation is a Quick Contest, where what matters is the margin of victory (or defeat), I think it's correct that it doesn't matter how subtle you try to be. I don't think the odds change.Bill Stoddard
Sorry for the necromancy, but I'm about to have an NPC group try to pull off a major use of Elicitation on my group of PCs.

The PCs have just upended a major plan the NPC group was working on, and the NPC group has no idea what happened or how their plan failed. So, naturally, the group wants to go to work on the PCs (without the PCs realizing it) to find out what exactly happened-enter Elicitation, stage right. Outright kidnapping & interrogating is not the best option for the NPC group.

But I can't quite figure out the game mechanics of making Elicitation work on PCs using the Influencing the PCs rules.

For example, the PCs have learned (the hard way) to be suspicious of questions from strangers; and they know their actions were a major blow against an enemy (they just don't know exactly which enemy it was).

So is it just a simple "a friendly merchant/waiter/warrior buys you a drink and asks how your journey was" and then roll the NPC's Elicitation vs. the PC?

Like Bill, I allow my PCs to make all their own 'secret' rolls and expect them to roleplay properly. It just seems a little raw to say later on you revealed what you did and why without realizing it; even though that is exactly what Elicitation seems to be about (unless I'm missing something).
thom is offline   Reply With Quote