View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Converting GURPS characters to TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Like I said a few posts back about how involved doing an accurate conversion would be in lieu of just going for *fudgey*: "Do what you like".

If you are really interested - and I would be surprised if you were - in what the actual multiplicative conversion factors are in the field of mathematics on the subject of values as units-of-measure and conversion; you might enjoy reading this.

But unless you are a mathematician, you might enjoy a root-canal more. ;-D

Otherwise, my best suggestion is what I also said in my earlier post: simply make your best estimate by feel and make a fudgey analog, and get out there and "Fight On!"
I understand unit conversion factors, but that only works for a one-dimensional conversion. ST in TFT & GURPS (& 1e-3e and 4e) each have a variety of effects that are all on different scales, each of which may also follow a curve. And personally, even if that weren't ridiculous numeric overkill of a choice of only one of many potential targets I'm not particularly interested in killing (which it is), I'd still be much more interested in creating a character that feels about like an appropriate analogue that makes sense for the other system. I was able to do that to my satisfaction since circa 1987, so while it would be interesting to see some math for single dimensions such as the encumbrance curve per ST compared between systems, I doubt I'd choose it over my experience of what feels about right, even if I also had graphs for damage for different weapons, jumping distance, unarmed damage, ability to break down doors, minST of weapons, throwing distance, etc etc..
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote