View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #1179
David Johansen

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

It seems to me that a gardening analogy, that of perennials verses annuals might be apt. Some products are constant sellers, sure a new supplement or edition will help it move and keep it on the customer's mind but it's a staple of the industry. Others bloom once and die. Some never even sprout.

Personally I think Dungeon Fantasy has the potential to become a perennial. Sure, SJG is feeling cautious about the rpg market these days. Rpgs usually need to justify themselves against D&D in some way to find their market. DF offers a cheaper point of entry, more flexible and realistic rules, and a bit of self aware humour. I don't think it's quite enough to close the deal for a new player who doesn't know GURPS but I don't know what it would be. I think the boxed set game feels more like a game but perhaps a book would be a cheaper product and a Space Opera or Supers introductory book would be a feasible second attempt. I'm pretty sure GURPS fans would crowd fund it but I don't know if the profits from such a venture would be enough to convince SJG to attempt it.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote