View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #72
Apollonian

Default Re: A-way down South in Dixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I mostly picked Tallahassee because I liked the sound of the name, it seemed appropriately located and because Bo Johnson is meant to be from the northern Florida of rednecks, gators and strong accents, not the southerly*, tourist and retirement community parts.

*But not at all Southern.
Yeah, Tallahassee is about 30 minute drive from the ocean, and the shore in question is swamp and wetland, not beach. So Pensacola is probably a better bet. It's right next to Mobile, Alabama, so pretty Southern. Or any other small beach town.

Did you consider the Everglades?

As regards what position he'd play on a football team... unless your players are big into American football, just make him a linebacker. Or he could be a bit of an iconoclast and play baseball. Maybe he had a shot at the minor leagues but hurt his pitching arm in a boating accident just before the scout showed up, etc... actually, if he was looking at becoming a SEAL early in high school, he might have focused on stuff like cross-country running and swim team instead of football. Or tried to go multi-sport as much as possible.

Did his parents go through college? If not, and if they made their own fortunes their own way, they might consider college unnecessary or even undesirable, depending on the college. Maybe Dad got drafted for 'nam, found out he was good at it, and served in the brown water navy. Back in the States, he starts up a business as an outfitter and guide for wealthy sportsmen, ends up selling fast bass boats and deep sea fishing rigs on the side. Smart, canny, not particularly book-learned, and with a bit of contempt for fancy-schmancy college folks with their expensive, useless degrees.

It's Uncle Sam. Uncle Tom is completely different.

One thing I forgot to mention: Florida State has a satellite campus in the Republic of Panama. I'd be surprised if other american universities didn't have similar throughout the Caribbean and Central America.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote