Thread: HEAL spell?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #27
Kirk

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Yes, Jim, it's a bit like being an engineering project manager with good talent in a brainstorming session!

Of everything out there, this is what I think would be accepted by my group as TFT for reals 2018 that won't break the game and would be used. As most everyone has mentioned, injury should be serious, dungeon crawls are nice but being injured just might make you a liability, which is what makes TFT *great* as a game, because it increases the tension in the game between the players and the mission itself.

We don't want special rules for the varied dungeons, quests, or a quick encounters. Here is my suggestion based on what I have seen, heavily borrowed from tbeard1999...

Also, since Physickering usually takes 5 minutes plus per character, the provision that it can only be used after a combat isn't too hard to enforce. A thrown spell like this happens in 5 seconds, so we need to consider if a wizard could heal a just injured individual, then repeat for each subsequent injury inflicted in subsequent combat turns, or truly limit it to a spell after the engagement has been concluded by making it take 5 minutes to cast, or something equivalent.

I have made it a Special spell for these reasons.

Spells:

IQ 10
Minor Healing (S) Cost: 1

Heals 2 points of physical damage.

Takes 5 uninterrupted minutes to cast, subject must be within 1 MH of the caster.

Heal will cure strength already lost to disease and poison, but it will not cure the disease nor make a poison go away. It is possible to place healing magic into an artifact, but such things are rare and costly, and work no better than a mage with the Heal spell and a strength battery or a corps of apprentices.

Healing scrolls, on the other hand, are common. As with other scrolls, the magic comes from the scroll and the strength comes from the caster. Heal will also restore lost fatigue from spellcasting, etc., but rarely is it practical to use it this way.

This spell acts similarly to the Physicker talent in that it can only be used once for damage to each character after a combat, and can only be used again on the same character to heal newly acquired damage in later combats, not to exceed that new damage. It can be combined with the Physicker talent, but total damage healed may not exceed the most recently acquired combat damage.

IQ 13
Major Healing (S) Cost: 2

Heals 4 points of physical damage. A higher level version of Minor Healing, and includes it.

IQ 16
Critical Healing (S) Cost: 3

Heals 6 points of physical damage. A higher level version of Major Healing, and includes it.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote