View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 AM   #21
Otaku

Default Re: Two long standing house rules.

Just to be clear... I actually have some suggestions, but I want to make sure they are needed before making them; less temptation for the GM to assume they are this way.

Without any such feedback, my ideas might be completely unnecessary. I will also acknowledge that the few changes to 4e Magic might neuter some as well. ^^'

A lot of this still seems like unreasonable expectations, possibly on both the GM and players. I get that (as was pointed out earlier) the GM probably doesn't want to have to start combat too far away, especially if maps are involved... but if I take everything Nereidalbel has suggested as explanations for why the Mage is too weak... its the player designing/running his made poorly and/or the GM/other players being jerks. Not everyone needs to face off against the same types or numbers of opponents, and even in a combat heavy game there should be plenty of foes that the mage is the best (perhaps only one) qualified to face.

Anyway, the phantom suggestions to which I keep alluding:
  1. Really plan out what Spells to use and what situations to use them in.
  2. Let the mage get enchanted gear. It may even be available to anyone in the party, but the mage is the one a Dancing Shield or a Good Weapon Spirit... erm... weapon can protect long enough to use some good spells. Or even get a hireling/purchase an Ally to do it for you.
  3. Allow PC mages to take some really potent magical Advantages, namely mana enhancer. Worse Magical backfires are a problem (you're not Enchanting so take some level of Luck), but getting back all spent Energy next turn allows spamming of a lot of potent Spells.
  4. Create/allow some Advantages modded to be magic specific. Altered Time Rate, for example.
  5. General Spell tweaks. I am less concerned about improving missile Spells than Area Spells. Granted, I am referencing 3e right now; what's the Base Cost of "Create Fire" in 4e? A mage that can surround himself in a ring (especially of variable thickness) of fire, or create an area of flames in front of him, then use Shape Fire the next turn to send it moving towards the opponent is a fearsome site. Resist Fire would allow him to hide in the flames safely.
  6. New Spells; instead of rewriting what is, just create an improved Spell beyond it; Mass Flaming Weapon, Improved Create Fire, etc.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote