View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Plane

Default Re: Question about... { Shields as Advantages }

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
No need.
Enhanced Defenses (Block) 3 (ED(B) 3 [15]; Breakable, Durability DR 50, 100 HP, -0%; Repairable, -0%; SM -3, -15%; Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%) [9];
Innate Attack, Crushing 3d (IAC 3d [15]; Overhead (Bounce), +30%; Breakable, Durability DR 50, 100 HP, -0%; Repairable, -0%; SM -3, -15%; Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%) [13];
Perk: Striking Surface [1].
So long as they know that unlike a shield, the +3 is only for blocks and not dodges/parries.

We can probably ignore Striking Surface for the moment, since it doesn't have modifiers applied to it.

What I'm wondering is if we have precedent to consider it of equal value to have 1 gadget imparting 2 advantages, vs 2 gadgets imparting 2 advantages.

S83 has an almost-there example of the Size Change Helmet where they have the same modifiers (well aside from a typo omitting the 4 in "Takes Extra Time 4" in 2nd case) as Alternative Abilities.

S82's "Bioenergy Crystal" is what I think we're looking for though. ST+10 and HT+10 are 2 separate leveled advantages, and that statting could actually represent having 2 crystals (one to boost ST and one to boost HT) so having them combined to be the very same crystal appears to be considered a 0-point feature here.

How would you deal wih S45's Dreadnought though? The first 3 aspects (Strength Amplification, Armored Shell, Electrified Surface) share a -45% summed limitation of:

Breakable, DR 25, Complex Mechanism, SM 0, -35%;
Can Be Stolen, Forcible removal, -10%;
So I guess you might treat that as all one gadget (forcibly remove one you forcibly remove all)

But in the other cases where this differs (worth fewer points due to lower SM) you would have to treat them as separate gadgets.

Jet Pack and Life Support are both SM-3 so you COULD treat them as the same gadget, but it seems like an odd connection (unlike STamplify/Armor/ElecSurf which just sounds like the main body of the armor) so it'd probably make more sense not to merge them.

Same thing with Plug-Ins vs Sensor Suite, those sound like they would be separate components so even though both are SM-4 and you could legally treat them as 1 gadget, I'd opt not to.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote