View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #46
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: DF Implied Cosmology

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I think this approach is particularly valuable in a transitional sort of game. . . Because the Very High Urbanity level in Town lets the local sages cast and maintain these otherwise prohibitively expensive buff spells for free....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'm exaggerating of course (plenty of bad stuff in cities), but people generally find it plausible that urban power bases are a Thing That Exists.
I'll note that Isfjall, the city/base in Hall of Judgment, sits next to a lake that is supernatural in origin and radiates a stabilizing and civilizing magic. One of the threats from a side quest (which to date has been hella fun to run just as a one-shot on its own) is that this magic is *breaking down* under the influence of Evil Things.

Granted, I stole the idea from Caverntown, but in general having civilized areas be hard for faerie, demons, and other bad guys to get a foothold in makes for an interesting urban/rural dichotomy, AND amps up the threat level when that pool of civilization is threatened, perhaps because some city-dweller that just doesn't understand how important that stability is decides to mess with it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote