View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Making dragons slightly tougher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Darkness is 2 seconds to cast...
No it isn't. That's one of the things I distinctly double checked last night... (hint, check DFRPG Spells, not vanilla Magic)

But even so, 3 seconds isn't a serious commitment in time. You aren't just spawning it in when the PCs get to it are you?

Quote:
Dark Vision is another second.
Right, 2 seconds. Not a big deal when the Dragon should have had plenty of time (high Per stat) unless it was caught napping.

Quote:
Infravision does not work on the spell Darkness
Ah, so. Missed that one.

This is probably why my Dragons prefer to use Gloom (which I noted doesn't exist in DFRPG).

But all that aside, seriously, Close Combat sucks for DFPRG adventurers that aren't geared for it. It doesn't suck for the Dragon. So use it. Also Slam, Overrun, Trample. Heavily armored foes that have fallen and can't get up (takes a Change Posture maneuver and they just get auto slammed once they're up) that are stuck in Close Combat? That sucks to be them.

The last party that faced a Dragon in my games had that happen to them. The Dragon dropped down on them from above (Overrun), knocked down everyone but the Swashbuckler (who Acrobaticly Dodged to safety), had the Scout and Wizard unconscious in the first round, and the Knight and Cleric stuck in 'slam-lock' for the rest of the pitifully short combat.

The Swashbuckler ended up running away and was the only survivor. Granted they were a relatively 'fresh' adventuring party and were modestly geared for CC (they knew the dangers), but the Knight could barely penetrate the Dragon's DR with his knife (they weren't specifically prepared for Dragon fighting).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote