View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I may also be in agreement with those who are wary of too much alteration from the source of the adventure for the following reasons.

Consider that your new Dragon Heresy game does well and that SJ Games and you agree to more crossover support into Dungeon Fantasy.

Furthermore, assuming that the world background in Dragon Heresy is rich and well received, it could serve as one version of a needed, crossover campaign setting for DFRPG.

In these cases, it may be important to stay faithful to the source material setting for backward compatibility with Hall of Judgement.

The main reason that I would have considered conforming to SJ Dungeon Fantasy RPG "background" is to reuse entities from Monsters, but it appears that you will already provide new ones of your own.

For example, in a recent demo of DFRPG that I ran, I ported my adventure from D&D that relied on Kobolds as the obligatory minions. For the port, I changed Kobolds to Goblin Kin so as to readily use the DFRPG statisitcs.

You appear to have no need for this constraint.
For what it's worth, it's in my interest to change only the barest minimum to convert the adventure to DFRPG. For example, I will be leaving Isfjall as Isfjall (Is = Ice; fjall = Mountain), not calling it "Town."

I will rename "Torengar" to Noršland or something like it, so that a GM can stick the location that will appear in the map more or less wherever they need, so long as it abuts a mountain range.

The Hall of Judgment is the Hall of Tyr with the barest serial numbers filed off, but as I say in the "other settings" box of the original adventure, reskinning it to your personal pantheon should be easy.

Monsters are going to be unique where they need to be, but if there are already goblins and they're of the right general level of threat, there's no need to reinvent. Fae have powers and abilities in my setting that make 'em a bit more true to original mythology than others (nearly all Fae can weave glamours, for example), so those abilities will be grafted on to any critters that don't have them.

Finally, I have a hankering to rework the map to be more suited to an actual month-long overland journey. I kept it abstract at GenCon, since that wasn't the point. For an adventure that will wind up transplanted into 10,000 other people's campaigns (OK, maybe 250? 500?), that Just Won't Do.

One thing I can say, and I hope you'll forgive the directness, is that this isn't an "evolving" project. I've asked for, and received, permission *for a specific thing.* I'm going to do that thing, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability, and on or ahead of schedule. Because that's what I do. But I'm not writing a new thing, I'm converting what already exists. Where that lines up nicely (or system-less-ly) with Powered by GURPS, it will not be changed. Where it does not, it will be tweaked.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 04-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote