View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Onkl

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

To get started with GURPS there's only one piece of advice that I can give you: Don't overdo it! :)

When I first started with GURPS I was blinded by all the shiny knobs and levers you could turn and pull and wanted to have everything in my game right from the start.
Although you can use every rule in existence from the get go, I advise against that. In my case it bogged down play, made for confused players and simply didn't add to the atmosphere. You will have enough trouble to remember all the rules for all the advantages and disadvantages, skills, combat and then you will struggle with the Magic Book if used RAW...

If I were begining to play GURPS all over again, I would be glad if someone told me to make a nice test campagin... something simple with a few rules: A 50 CP PC campaign in todays world in your hometown after a zombie apocalypse. Everybody can relate to that.

Like that you only have a few monsters to create, you will probably know the charactersheets of the players by heart and will not be overwhelmed.

If you are a really experienced GM, have very interested players who all read all the books, know all the rules by heart, I would start with a Dungeon Fantasy campaign. Only then would I create my own game.

Just my 2 cents!

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 05-14-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote