View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: What do you want in a Transhuman Space game (as a player)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

This can take place in all sorts of ways. For example, toward the end of my first THS campaign, one of the PCs got a message from the Montréal child welfare authority, which contained street camera footage of his eleven-year-old daughter smoking a cigarette—and it didn't look like her first. The accompanying message said that he was allowed to exercise his own discretion on such behavior, but it was government policy to advise parents of behavior that might be of concern. So then he called in the team's hacker and asked her to help him figure out why his daughter's recently acquired virtual interface implant hadn't notified him of this. And the implant's response was that he had set it to maintain his daughter's privacy; did he want a different setting? Did he want moderate privacy, or zero privacy, or did he want a customized setting? Did he want to know . . . followed by some items from a long list of possibly questionable behaviors; at one point the other player had the hacker say, "Gianni, I masturbate!" while Gianni was boggling.
Who on earth would set privacy settings for their kid to cover up when they harm themselves? Would it also hide evidence of cutting, or running head first into walls?
The masturbation aspect is more interesting as it obviously causes no overt harm, but conservative religious people may consider it sinful and worthy of punishment.