View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #1493
Plane

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

I just threw some grappling into a boxer v brawler fight and ended up grabbing a guy by the shirt.

I was imagining how this could go down in Technical Grappling, and remembered your Control Point system's baseline assumes a clothed target, ad that them not wearing clothes on a body part (ie a bare arm, a bare torso, a bare leg) gives I think a point of Control Resistance subtracted from the Thrust roll.

This made me wonder: in the baseline rules which assumes you are grappling clothing, were there any versions of "Break Free" which, instead of breaking their grip on your clothing, reflect removing the article of grappled clothing instead?

That seems like a difficult but potentially useful (and maybe easier) trick against someone with a super-strong grip. They might have a ST 30 grip on your shirt, but if you can manage to wriggle out of the shirt somehow, it should't matter, right?

To incentivize that i some situations, I'm wondering what kind of benefits that should offer. I was thinking for example:

1) grappler cannot use Brute Parry against your Break Free, if you are breaking free of your clothing instead of breaking your clothing free of him
2) Break Free only suffers 1/2 the normal DX penalties from CP applied to clothing you're trying to remove

I don't know if I'm right to still be using Break Free though, or of there's something else (Ready maneuvers?) you would use to reflect the varying difficulty of removing different articles of clothing.

There are also probably cases where escaping clothing isn't a guarateed escape from a grapple. A large creature for example could probably wrap its hand around someone's entire arm and clamp down so hard that it would be very hard to remove the jacket and you'd need to break their grip to loose the sleeve enough to get out of it.

This would be different than say, a small dog who is clamping down on 100% material and not exerting any clamping pressure on your arm at all so you could slide right out.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote