View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #251
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Icelander, have you ever considered that your GURPS habit has lead you to be unusually familiar with U.S. gun culture? To a level that might disturb a lot of your countrymen? :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Oh, do tell...
Ironically, I still don't own any firearms, unlike my father, grandfather, step-grandfather*, kid brother and several friends. Most of them don't play any RPGs and at least two of them, my kid brother and my best friend** read gun magazines and tacti-cool spec-ops memoirs or training literature for fun.***

So, you know, Iceland isn't entirely firearms-free and, in fact, my experience is that adult men usually know how to shoot and have at least a rifle and a shotgun. One of my friends even manages to get a reindeer most years (very limited number of licenses), which demands a level of patience with bureaucracy that argues a great passion for hunting.

It's a hotly debated subject, with the methods used to measure not always fully compatible, but most sources seem to agree that Iceland has a very high rate of firearm ownership per household. Less than the US, more than almost all EU states, South or Central American ones or Asian countries.

I keep meaning to find the time and money to shoot more and get my own guns, but I never seem to have enough to spare of either. Breaking both elbows a couple of years ago didn't help, as there are still bone fragments in the joints that can't help but make shooting difficult and painful.

Will respond to specific points later, as patience with tapping on a mobile screen is exhausted.

* Father of dad's second wife. Icelandic family structure. Anyway, he had the most guns by far, around 100 in a purpose-built gun cellar (along with tools, reloading presses and a functioning replica of a 19th century cannon, smaller scale, but still 1/2-lb ball). After moving, he trimmed down the collection a lot.
**Cop, arrest technique instructor, riot/tactical team. Has recently taken up travelling to the US to attend tactical shooting seminars a couple of times a year.
***Whereas I, very sensibly, only read such stuff for research. ;-)

Last edited by Icelander; 01-02-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote