View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #36
Agemegos

Default Re: FTL rate of movement for GURPS SPACESHIPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
For the practical reason that High Automation reduces the workspace requirement by a factor of 10, and at SM 11 and below each system has less than 10 workspaces. At SM 9 and below systems don't even have workspace requirements (except for the Engine Room).

This would result in ships with High Automation needing to keep track of partial workspace requirements, which is messy and against the core KISS tenant of the Spaceships rules. It would also have some odd results in dealing with damaged/destroyed systems and where the workspaces actually are. I could certainly see a case being made for allowing SM 10-11 ships to have High Automation and simply apply the reduction to the total workspace requirement for the ship, with a minimum of one workspace.
What I did for my rough costing exercise (which involved split systems in an SM+12 ship) was to round up the crew requirement in each highly-automated SM+11 system from 0.3 to 1. But since I was assuming a three-watch crew anyway I could have gone with giving each such system a technician in one watch out of three.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote