View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Mounted Infantry in Overrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Gotcha. I figured that the combat = overrun in that case, and have been working off of "infantry may not move or remount until next turn if they dismounted for an overrun", but started doubting myself when reading the thread.

It creates the opportunity for an interesting edge case...the rules don't explicitly address "Mount, ridden vehicle enters overrun, dismount to participate in overrun", and I see that leading to disagreements over which section has primacy.

My gut says 5.11.3 has primacy because 8.06.1 says 'May', but I could see how someone could argue that 8.06.1 has primacy because it doesn't say 'if able'.
I'd say it covers it just fine. The way the rules work is by stating a general case, then applying exceptions. Overrun rules are the exception to the general case defined by 5.11.3. The "may" in 8.06.1 is there to state that INF do not _have_ to dismount during an overrun if they don't want to. Overruns create a situation where INF can mount and dismount in the same turn, but it's limited to the overrun itself. 8.06.1 also maintains consistency because it does not allow the INF to remount after the overrun is over.