View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
Varyon

Default Re: Voting on upcoming campaigns

I can certainly see a voting system working for some groups. Personally, I have a bad habit of losing motivation quickly, so I don't think I'd be able to keep with running a game setup this way - rather than coming up with a few genres, my own inclination would be to come up with the basics of a single campaign itself, then describe it to my potential players to see if they're interested; if some aren't, find out if there are changes that would make them interested; if still not, I'd either exclude those players from the campaign (if I had enough interested parties to go forward without them, and doing so wouldn't cause issues) or go back to the drawing board. After that, I'd probably have them come up with basic outlines for their characters; if there are characters who don't fit into the party (say it's a military-themed space opera campaign and most of the characters are infantry and someone decides to have a dedicated pilot like [i]Mass Effect[i]'s Joker) I'd either have them change the character to fit better (so a skilled pilot who can also serve as infantry) or modify the campaign in some fashion so they'll work (maybe the Joker-expy teleoperates a combat drone); I'd do the same if someone creates a character who doesn't quite match the campaign setting (say there's no sapient AI in the setting and someone wants to play as a robot; I might have them instead be a full-body cyborg, an experimental mind emulation, a secret prototype AI that seems sapient, or similar).