View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #50
Polydamas

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Hi All,

Just sent out a copy of my "Prototype" mageborn generator. I'm happy with it for now in that it generates everything that I wanted to including age, magery value, four stats ranged 8 to 13, along with...

Indirectly, the hour, day and Year of an NPC's fated Death day. What I've done is make it so that it adds a 3 decimal point value in addition to the integer value of the age. So something like 42.013 years of age means that the person was born 42 years, 4 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes, 17 some seconds ago.
This does get into circular logic: the spells that this generation of mages can learn locally depend on which ones the previous generation of mages knows. Demographics depend on things like healing spells, magical water purification, and contraception.

I note that GURPS Banestorm has wood-block and movable type printing, and presumably paper. Oddly, they say that Sahud has movable type and the Christian lands wood-block printing, when historically wood-block worked better for Chinese characters and movable type made more sense for alphabets and abjads. They don't seem to say whether the Moslem lands have solved the problem that Arabic is a cursive script so hard to print with movable type. For all the noise which has been made about theology, the real problem with printing the Arabic script seems to have been that the results looked ugly.

The Banestorm was before the Western Schism, before Pope Innocent III, and before the Mongols sacked Baghdad for the first time, so its Christian and Islamic theology is likely different from in our world.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 05-16-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote