View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #49
StevenH

Default Re: Mageborn are like Coins - Worldbuilding TL 3

I was looking through the Meta-Spells (while working on my Enchantment Modifiers for Equipment GCS library) and noticed how difficult they were to learn. And likely how difficult they would be to figure out in the first place.

Following along with my previous post about available resources in the area, has anyone made a list of available spells? What's the local ethnothaumatology?

With so few mages, and even fewer with Magery 3, I suspect that the MetaSpells are likely not to have been discovered. So I don't think there will be any mages with Delay, Hang Spell, Link, etc. What about Gate spells? Have they been invented yet (or given by the gods, or wherever spells come from)?

We also have a hard limit on how many spells can be learned, based upon age. Which means that even if the mage focuses on a narrow set of spells, they won't get too far up the prerequisite chains. Which brings up another question. The average modern person works 2000 hours per year at their job. If their job were to learn spells and how to cast them, how many of those hours would be applicable to the 200 hour per point for skill purposes? Is the assumption that only a tenth of those hours actually count?

Given how tough magic is to learn, it's possible that no one has lived long enough or become good enough to get past any spell requiring, for example, 10 spells. Which means those spells likely wouldn't have been invented yet.

Anyway, just some thoughts. But we should figure out what the available spell list is so we can "spend" our mages appropriately.

Edit: Well, it would seem that part of the answer is available: according to Hal, we use Magic 2e for our basic spell list. I'll have to go through my copy and see if, given our constraints, all of those spells could be learned, or if some of them haven't been invented yet.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.

Last edited by StevenH; 05-16-2021 at 08:40 AM.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote