View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #50
martinl

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
But I just don't buy Luck as a mundane trait; nor as a meta-level narratively granted blessing. "Oh, he's the hero, things will turn out right for him!"
I agree with the first point, and disagree with the second, because of the first.

Real life "heroes" are often just folks who were good and lucky. 100,000 men charged the enemy trenches, 10,000 made it there, 1,000 were part of a charge that actually captured the trench in question, 100 managed to hold it long enough to be re-enforced, 10 of those survived that action unscathed, and only 1 was seen by a surviving officer killing three enemy soldiers with an entrenching tool.

For propaganda reasons that guy is a national hero.

That 1 guy was probably a cut above the rest, sure, but if we repeat the experiment on a different trench with this guy plus 99,999 different but equivalent soldiers, that guy is probably not a hero again - he is very likely to be worm food. He was just lucky (in a statistical sense) the first time. [1]

In game terms, when I'm running at least, Luck is usually [2] the unstated assumption that 10 other folks in a similar level of peril as your PC bought it, but we're not going to play through their adventure.

All that said, if your jam is the realist literature version of role playing, where the PCs are explicitly not the "lucky ones," of course luck is inappropriate. From your posting history I think you might prefer that. I don't think that is a common preference though.

[1] Since he is also a cut above, his odds are probably better than 1 in 100,000, but even with 100x the survivability of the other guys his odds are still very bad.

[2] Luck can of course also be an explicit supernatural ability as well.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote