Thread: Dice?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #29
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Dice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
For dice with a single decorated face, I believe US convention is that the decoration replaces the 6; European is that it replaces the 1. (Maybe the other way round.) For this reason I don't have dice like that; I want to read them quickly without picking them up and looking at the bottom face to check.
I'm not sure what the convention is, but I definitely have some dice with the symbol on the 6 and others with it on the 1. It is sometimes confusing, I'll grant you, but usually only the first time I play with the dice after a while, and checking before I roll is usually enough to keep me straight during play. I'd never mix dice with the two different conventions, as that would definitely confuse me during play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
(Several of the ones johndallman had made used custom pips – elements of a flag, skull and crossbones, etc. – and that works very well.)
I have some of that type, as well. I like the potential extra flavor they can offer so long as they stay clear and readable. Most of the ones I have are newer to me, and I haven't played with them yet.