View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #92
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That's what I've done, but I've also used the Bestows a Bonus modifier to negate hit location penalties too. I've even toyed around with buying a Targeted Attack technique for a specific hit location and Path. When I've done this, Targeted Attack (Path of Matter rituals/Eye) has been the favorite. I wouldn't add the penalty for gathering energy, but I would for the final roll. This seems a bit murky, but that that's what I gathered from the rules.
The issue with using it as a penalty on the final roll, as I see it, is that gathering the energy for a spell is typically the primary time sink - taking a little longer to finally cast it (due to failing a few times) isn't that big of a deal, particularly if you're making a Charm or Conditional. For a character with Ritual Adept, Path of Body 18 and Magery 3 (assume he's got a Talent or some Perks that boost his maximum Path of Body from 15 to 18), my Skullburster ritual is going to take around 90 seconds to gather. At -7 to skill, that means probably less than 5 seconds to successfully cast it, which is a pittance compared to that gathering time. I think this will make such rituals a bit overpowered, so I'd prefer to shift things over to an HT bonus for the target - that way, when the mage rolls a 15, rather than waiting 4 seconds and trying again (with success meaning the target at best gets a roll against HT-4), he successfully casts the spell but his foe gets to resist at HT.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote