View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #86
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
No, you can't just transform the subjects vitals willy-nilly like that. Even as written the subjects heart is now a ball of fire - nothing is gonna happen. If you are trying to damage the subject you'd need Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, Internal Burning (Selective Area, +20%) (4/die) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs.
I wouldn't have any sort of Selective Area - rather, I'd simply base the energy cost off of the x2 wounding modifier for Burning attacks to the Vitals - that is, I'd give it the same cost as Impaling damage. I suppose you could toss on some additional cost for causing excessive bleeding, although I'm not certain what would be fair there.

Cold Lamp
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Energy + Lesser Transform Energy
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This is often cast on a small item, typically a piece of quartz. Heating the item - typically by rubbing it between one's hands - above room temperature causes it to glow by shifting the wavelength of the light into the visible range and strengthening it. The brightness of the glow depends on how much the quartz was heated - simply holding it results in light comparable to a candle, rubbing it will produce light comparable to a torch or lantern, and heating it to body temperature (or higher) can result in a blindingly bright light. The ritual also makes the quartz retain heat more readily than it normally would. The quartz maintains this ability for about a week.

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Energy (3) + Lesser Transform Energy (8) + Duration, 1 week (9) + Subject Weight, 10 lb (0). 20 energy (20x1).

This is based on the cold lamp crystals from the Noble Dead Saga book series (the metaphysics there aren't too terribly different from this version - in that Light is a manifestation of the Fire element, just like Heat, so converting one to the other isn't very hard). If someone would like to create a temperature-to-candela guide, they can feel free. Going off of Anthony's guidelines, the "hold it in your hand" method results in a 1 candela light source, the "rub vigorously" method results in a 20 candela light source (although the Noble Dead Saga is kind of a DF series, meaning something more like 100 candela - a light bulb - may be more appropriate), and the "hold it in your mouth for a bit" method results in a 2,000 or so candela light source.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote