View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM   #56
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRasputin View Post
I edited in another ritual that I'm even less sure of, mechanically. Would you mind critiquing that one too?
Sure.

Quote:
Flaming Sword
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait (Burning Innate Attack, Linked Melee Attack)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 2d6 burn damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Altered Trait (Innate Attack (2d6 Burn; Melee 1,C -20%; Linked +10%)) (11) + Altered Trait (Apply Linked +10% to an existing melee attack worth up to [40] as an IA) (4) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) = 75 energy (25x3).

Notes: This ritual works by giving a creature an Innate Attack with the fixed Linked modifier, then applying the Linked modifier to their weapon attacks using the Modifying Existing Damage rules described in Power Ups 4. Is there an easier way to price this by just powering up the weapon directly?

Flaming Sword
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Bonus, Damage rolls.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell, usually cast as a charm, causes a melee weapon (which must way 10 lbs. or less) held by the subject to burst into flames. For the next 10 minutes, anyone struck by that weapon takes an additional 1d of burning damage. This is a linked effect, and must penetrate DR separately.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Bestows a Bonus, +4 to damage rolls (8) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 45 energy (15x3).

Quote:
Thank you. I agree that making it a Greater effect puts it more in line with the other examples of Path of Energy combat spells. This was an attempt to make one with a Lesser effect.
Lesser effect damage spells are about working with what you got at hand (a explosion spell near a gas main or the like) or being sneaky (A internal effect doing damage of what a handheld weapon could do in the setting; a "burst appendix" or "stroke").

Quote:
Sorry. I tried, but wasn't sure about a couple things.
Hey, no one is perfect. And if you don't know you can't do. I try to help out 'round here as much as I can.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote