View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
Stormcrow

Default Solo game for five year old

I'm looking for inspiration on what kind of role-playing game to run for my five-year-old son. I want it to be something that isn't too violent but which still has plenty of action.

A near-perfect game for him is Ghostbusters. He's obsessed with Ghostbusters, it's easy to play, and it's not too violent. But... I really don't want to run Ghostbusters. I want to avoid mission-based games, because he really likes playing in sandbox environments, and Ghostbusters done right really needs more than a solo player. I also think I want to avoid licensed properties, because he'll feel constrained to stick to what happens in those properties instead of coming up with his own stuff.

I also considered Toon, but Toon is geared toward Bugs Bunny-type cartoons, which isn't really what kids watch these days. I feel like he wouldn't enjoy that so much. I'd like to find something where the story matters a little more.

I don't want to take a violent game and just make it not violent. For instance, I don't want to take D&D and just make all the goblins and green slimes want to negotiate all the time.

I'm not asking for recommendations for rule sets. The kid will learn and play anything I offer. I'm looking for recommendations of genre or setting, or maybe whole games if the games have unique elements that would be good. Specific GURPS supplements that meet the criteria would also be useful.

Sorry it's kind of specific; I'm having a lot of trouble finding the perfect game.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote