Thread: Cidri Genesis
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #49
TippetsTX

Default Re: Cidri Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
More seriously, perhaps the M'noren who created the world don't mind that it's hard to navigate there. Maybe they prefer that. As a GM, I tend to enjoy differences between places and elaborating on their effects. More difficult navigation and mapping sound like a perk to me rather than something I'd necessarily want to undo and return to "normal".
That's a good point. Various societal and geographic controls would need to be established in order to maintain a balance among the extremely diverse populace and to ensure that balance could be maintained even in their absence. The lack of a large-scale reliable navigational system would certainly be an excellent control against widespread empire building and population migration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But again on the "planet-scale engineering is an extreme ability, especially to actually do rather than just theoretically be able to do", it seems to me that if the M'noren can really construct a world in the first place, and bothered to do so, with some sort of planar barrier all around it, no less, then arranging for lights in the sky would seem well within their means. After all, even insanely terrible 20th Century corporatist thinkers suggested advertising in the sky. If the stars were night-light satellites, then that would also tend to mean they could be arranged in whatever constellations and interesting movements the M'noren wanted. It could be pretty useful for claiming you were godlike if you could predict and cause the stars to do things!
I considered having a system of satellites as artificial stars and I still might use something like that. It would certainly support one of my other ideas of Mnoren as master manipulators; starting out as little more than inter-dimensional con men to become the secret (or not so secret) rulers of nearly 400 alternate Earths.

Which reminds me... I also like the idea of the Mnoren with limitations. I don't think it is a stretch to assume that much of their power and technology was stolen. The rest then, is a result of perfecting the role of the 'great and powerful wizard of OZ' on a massive scale.