View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Default Re: Nitroglycerin invention date and TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would not apply that extra -2 penalty. By definition, I am not familiar with any TL9 technology; it hasn't been invented or isn't on the market at this time. So all TL9 tech ought to have a penalty of -2 for TL8 people like me. But the stated penalty for one tech level ahead is -5, not -7. I think that the -5 subsumes the -2 for unfamiliarity; it's not a separate added penalty.

For comparison, I don't know how to handle a sailboat, and if I had to try I'd be rolling against IQ-5 (since I'm sure my IQ is higher than my DX!). But I wouldn't also have an added -2 penalty for being unfamliiar with, say, a sloop as opposed to a Bermuda rig. I'm not familiar with any of them; that's part of the definition of not having the skill.The -5 for unskilled takes the place of the -2 for unfamliar; you don't have both penalties.
The unfamiliarity penalty vanishes after a day of training or experimentation. (Training would be by far the preferable option with any kind of explosives). The TL penalty never goes away unless you buy it off with points. (But fortunately only a single point since it's a perk to have cutting edge tech knowledge in a single area).
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote