View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Icelander

Default Re: Talents & Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
My goal here in part was to allow the creation of characters like Selmy Barristan from A Game of Thrones. He's very good at knightly skills because he's been practicing for a very long time, not because of superb reflexes and coordination. Given his age, raw speed is probably limited anyway It doesn't follow (to me) that he should also be talented at climbing or stealth. A version where he has DX of 12 or 13 but knightly combat skills around 16-18 feels right to me but isn't very practical in GURPS. Allowing a 10 point (or perhaps 15) Talent to represent his focused training and experience seems a better way of simulating the character.
Agreed. Ser Barristan Selmy would use something similar to the Experienced Talent I use in my fantasy game, where warriors can raise a Talent for every combat skill for 15/level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Also I admit it helps make sure fighter types outlcass high DX thieves in combat skill.
There is that.

Since having higher levels of Experienced in my game allows the buying of supernatural warrior-esque gifts like Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction, warriors will aim to have whatever DX suits their characterisation and otherwise rely on Experienced.

Rogues will often try for the highest DX they can.*

*But I add an Unusual Background cost for buying Attributes at 16+, so finding a Talent that suits their particular roguish archetype can be beneficial for them too.