View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
Looking back at it, I would say yeah Mana Enhancer was used either more as as an unusual background character element or for those characters who were paranoid about their concept being nerfed in gurps. Essentially warriors who felt they were equipment dependent or casters who did not want to be worthless in a no mana/low mana zone. Especially towards the begining of 4e when we were still somewhat used to 3Es cap of level 3 magery.
Ahhh. Well that explains that then.

Quote:
Yep and if the GM is enforcing limits the bonus does hold greater value, of course part of the reason for this conversation was that we both are quibbling a bit on just how easy the default mana enhancer advantage is to share ;)
True. :-)

Quote:
In that case thanks Refplace as well, I have been looking into them for a Fatespinner powers build idea, but hadn't stetched the idea to RPM as well.
I think it started out with me looking at Control (Teleporation) in the first Infinite Worlds Pyramid and thinking "Wow, this would be a interesting way to use RPM." and then Refplace posted something that night and I got to talking with him about it. Then a year or so later we got to chatting via email about it while discussing another subject. Overall, it works quite well. I allow each level to add to +1 or -1 to Path skill rolls or reduce the Greater Effects multiplier by a single level. You could also reduce it further to specialize in a specific effect, path, or even ritual:

Very Common: All magic in the setting. 30 points/level.
Common: Specific path or effect. 20 points/level.
Occasional: A specific combination of effects (i.e., Sense Mind), a narrow focus of a specific Path (e.g., all fire effects from Path of Energy). 15 points/level.
Rare: A specific ritual. 10 points/level.

I might be tempted to reduce each level by 5 points, but I don't know what that would look like in game play.

Quote:
I understand they would have the limitation when creating the charm but would they also have that limitiation once activated as well? For example if a RPM caster had night only he could obviously only create a charm at night but are you saying that he could only activate previously created charms at night as well?
I've treat it that way. Charms and conditionals are bound by the effects of the Magery. You might want to exclude them for the same reason magic excludes such effects on enchanted items: ease of game play.

Quote:
It was less magic as powers but more a case of cool supernatural power sets are the rule of thumb for this game instead of actual magic, except for the Avatar Last airbender inspired Elemental Wizards who were a campaign side note.
:-) Coolness.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote