View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
I don't know how combat oriented the PC's will be. 100% even doesn't have to be the case but the closer matched the PC's are the more every PC will feel the lethality of the game. So I want to have a battle with average to good combatants. It may allow them some insight to how to work together to maximize their survival.

I hadn't, yet, thought of a patron. They were starting as craftsmen or fisherman from a small coastal village.
One-Use Patron: Spirit of Place, the mostly-powerless guardian spirit that watches over their coastal village ... arranges a shared dream where they contest against each other and against potential future enemies; with the characters waking up from the "obvious nightmare" when they die.

Gives you the ability to do a staggered/memorable entrance for each, and for them to test out the combat system (and whatnot) in a risk-free environment that the players know isn't going to happen again.

Highlight things that happened and people they met and things they fought in the nightmare when they show up during the game (something that happens occasionally but not too often). Leave it a mystery in-character though.

Or so I'd suggest.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote