View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Grouchy Chris

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
On top of that, I want a sparring match. Not sure if I'll do it out of game or in, but it will be with their characters. In game could be a rivalry gone too far followed by a skilled magical healer arriving in the nick of time to save the fallen from Death's hands. I could tell them the purpose of this little exercise is so they know that healer will not be there next time.

What does everyone think?
I heartily applaud the idea of running a combat before you start the game proper. You can study the books all you want, but you won't really know the system until you play it. That applies to both combat and non-combat activities, but lack of practice at combat can really slow a game down.

I would also suggest making this a risk-free, commitment-free activity for your players, so they can try things without worrying that it's going to be the death of their character. They can also learn about what works and what doesn't when they're picking traits and equipment. It's no fun for the player if they learn that dual-wielding quarterstaves isn't, in fact, practical, and then have you tell them that they're stuck with it.

Let them try out any kind of build they want, without trying to lock them into anything before they even know their Rapid Strike from their Flurry of Blows. You'll have more confident, more satisfied players for it.