View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #48
Stripe

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Actually, in GURPS turn-based play explicitly does not begin until combat starts.
You missed my point entirely, but to counter your disagreement with everything I just said, add to my examples that the party is moving down the hallway with a monster chasing them.

Quote:
If the ogre has NO IDEA that the halfling is about to do what he's about to do, then yes, the halfling is going to scurry out of reach before the ogre reacts, and remain out of reach until he stops moving. They move at the same speed, after all. This is pretty much how it should work.
Not so. The switch is six hexes north of the halfling. The ogre is three hexes north and one hex west of the halfling.

It's the beginning of combat. Halfling has initiative. Halfling makes it all the way past ogre, who has combat reflexes. It's not the ogre's turn, so he doesn't get to react.

Quote:
Again, the offensive line is using a whole lot of Wait maneuvers to prevent this.
No, it isn't. It's taking the Do Nothing maneuver. It's the start of combat.

Defensive back took Wait ('till ball is snapped). His turn, he runs around the end and sacks the QB.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote