View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Sorcery] Help with a spell to swap locations of items

There was a recent thread on the subject of Warp "swapping" targets. My suggestion was basically that this is a new enhancement to Warp (repeated below for convenience).

Exchange: When you Warp, you may "swap" places with something else at your destination - the object you swap with appears at your old location. If the object you exchange with is significantly heavier than something you could carry, you take an additional penalty to your Warp roll: -1 per encumbrance level over what you could teleport with, with each multiple of Extra-Heavy Encumbrance imposing an extra -1. For example, if you had Warp with Extra Carrying Capacity: Medium, and ST 10, and you tried to swap with an object weighing 200 lbs., you would be at -2, since 200 lbs. is your Extra-Heavy encumbrance level, two levels over the Medium encumbrance you can teleport with.
The value of this enhancement depends on how wide a category of object you can potentially exchange with: +100% for anything at all at the target, +80% for a very broad category like "inanimate objects" or "living things", +60% for a medium-sized category like "other sapient beings" or "vehicles", +40% for a narrow category like "other members of my species" or "automobiles", or +20% for a very narrow category like "Other males of my ethnicity" or "late-model sedans". Subtract -10% from these values if the objects you swap with must be either the exact same mass or volume as you, or -15% if they must be both the same mass and volume. If you can only use Warp by swapping with something at the other end, subtract -50% from these values, turning this enhancement into a limitation if this takes the value below 0%.

So, in your case, I'd build it as a single Warp advantage with the modifiers you've already got (minus Link), and Exchange, set at +15%. That's using the +80% value for "inanimate objects", -15% because I assume they have to be pretty much the same mass and volume, and -50% because they have to be swapped.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 08-23-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote