View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Sdrolion

Default Re: Influence Skills and Interrogation

So what I'm gathering here is the following--just to make sure I'm getting it pretty right:

1. A reaction roll is used mostly for the "general reaction" set on the Reaction Chart. It shouldn't in general be used for the other columns, such as getting a great deal on a transaction, getting information the person doesn't want to give, requesting aid, etc. For those, an appropriate influence skill should be used. Basically, as you said, a character may like a PC, but may not be willing to assist him in any major way, and may need to be convinced by more dedicated means. So, in order to get information a character regards as "secret" or aid the character regards as "unusual" or "risky," or get a better deal on equipment, or some such, the PC needs to use an influence skill.

2. Interrogation is and isn't an influence skill, and to some degree assumes you've tried and failed at influence skills and need to do something heavier.

I guess the main thing I'm not entirely clear on with Interrogation is how it really differs from Intimidation. Both of those seem to be all about getting what you want from someone who clearly doesn't want to give it to you. It's just that Interrogation takes longer and gets bonuses for torture and such...but then, Intimidation gets bonuses for feats of strength and such. And wouldn't using threats in Interrogation require Intimidation checks?
Sdrolion is offline   Reply With Quote